We are currently searching for a new organist and choir director for the Old High Church.
Here is the advert and the job description for the post.
ORGANIST AND CHOIR DIRECTOR AT OLD HIGH CHURCH, INVERNESS
We are looking for someone to play the finest organ in the Highlands
Old High St Stephen’s congregation are seeking an organist and choir director for the Old High Church, Inverness.
The Old High is the original parish church of the city of Inverness. We have a fine Willis organ, beautifully restored in 2010, which is often used for concerts (our new organist can help develop this aspect of our music).
We have a small but enthusiastic choir. Our worship is formal, but music is a blend of old and new.
Our vision for worship at the Old High is to further develop our tradition of formal worship whilst being open to fresh ideas.
If you would like to know more, our minister would be happy to speak to you: The Rev Peter W Nimmo 01463 250 802 firstname.lastname@example.org
ORGANIST AND CHOIR DIRECTOR
The Old High Church, Church Street, Inverness
Old High St Stephen’s is a congregation of the Church of Scotland with two places of worship: the Old High in the city centre and St Stephen’s in Southside Road. They have shared a minister since 1975, but have been an united congregation for more than ten years under a single Kirk Session, using historic churches as places of worship.
Church services are held every Sunday at 11.15am in the Old High, except for a small number of ‘congregational services’ when only one service is held that morning in one of our buildings. On these Sundays, the two choirs combine to lead the praise.
The Old High Church is on a site that goes back to Celtic times. Although there are some mediaeval parts of the building, today’s distinctive sanctuary dates from the 18th century.
It is a venue for significant civic and community occasions, such as the recent World War I Commemoration, and the annual Kirking of the Council.
The fine two-manual and pedal Willis organ was beautifully restored to its original condition in 2010, and there is a small enthusiastic SATB choir.
Duties would include:
• Leading worship with the organ and the choir at Sunday services and other services set by the Kirk Session.
• Developing the musical life of the choir and congregation, including the introduction of new choir repertoire and hymns.
• Leading regular choir practices.
• Helping to develop the concerts and other musical activities at the Old High.
• Playing for weddings and funerals (if available).
• Developing the important musical link with St Stephen’s.
• It is hoped the successful applicant might participate in the Worship Action Team.
Qualifications should include:
• A sound organ technique.
• Ability to lead a choir and bring out the musical talents of the congregation.
• Knowledge of, and a sympathetic and sensitive approach to, church music, worship and the Christian faith.
There will be a contract of employment based on the Church of Scotland’s standard organist contract.
This post requires PVG clearance.
For more information, please contact:
Rev Peter W Nimmo
Telephone 01463 250 802
Email: peternimmo(a)minister.com (replace (a) with @)
or the secretary to the selection committee, Mrs Margaret Sutherland (Depute Session Clerk), telephone 01463 235 324.
Applications, including a CV and details of two referees, should be sent to Mr Nimmo, either by email or by post to:
Rev Peter W Nimmo
24 Damfield Road
Inverness IV2 3HU